Summer Treat for your Four-Legged Friend!
We are in the middle of summer now and that means it is hot hot hot!! Like today, it is humid out there so our pets should only be outside for a limited time.Here is an awesome treat recipe to help keep your pup cool during the summer months
Peanut Butter Popsicle
1 cup peanut butter, if possible unsalted and not sweetened (Check the peanut butter label to make sure it does not have any kind of xylitol, this is toxic to dogs.)
Half of a mashed ripe banana
If needed add water
Mix the mashed banana and the peanut butter together in a mixing bowl.
Add the water as needed. (The water and banana aren’t essential, but they help with freezing consistency.)
Line a cookie sheet with wax paper, or use the toys that are KONG styled where you can add the treat into the cavity of the toy.
Spoon the mixture onto the tray or stuff it into the toys. Freeze the tray or toys for several hours or overnight.
Your dog is going to be extra happy after this yummy treat!
Pet popsicles can be made out of all kinds of things your pups eat normally, so test out to see what your dog likes the most.
The frozen Kong-style toys make a great cool-down treat for when you will be away for a few hours. Kooper and Dee’s favorite KONG treat is Peanut Butter mixed with banana frozen.
Try treats frozen in water, watered down wet food and your favorite frozen veggies.
As always, remember to avoid certain foods that can be harmful to your pets. Here is a list of some of the foods your pets should avoid.
Wishing everyone and their pets an awesome rest of the summer!
Sweet Potato Recipe
Dee’s face when she sees the treats!
Ever pick up a bag of treats at the local pet store and look at the ingredient list? The last time I did, I had no idea what anything was. They’re often pricey and I find myself asking what am I really feeding my dogs? Here is a recipe that is simple and healthy for your pet. This recipe has been tested and approved by my two four-legged munchkins, Koop and Dee and my parents dogs, Cali and Reagan! All four of the dogs see these treats and they go bonkers! My mom found this recipe and I had to share. These yummy treats are super easy to make and healthy for your four-legged family members! I am not one to be in the kitchen… somehow the smoke detector goes off every time I cook, but even I’m able to make this!
- Only ingredient: Sweet potatoes…easy enough : )
- Use raw sweet potatoes, preferably large ones.
- Preheat the oven to 250 F
- Clean the sweet potatoes, making sure there is no mold on the skins. The number of potatoes you use will depend on the amount of jerky strips you want to make.
- Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise into thin 1/2- to 2/3-inch strips, and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the sweet potato strips for 3 to 4 hours. Flip them about half way through to make sure they are crispy evenly on both sides.
- For crunchier treats, bake them longer. Allow the strips to cool before storing them in an airtight container.
- It is best to store them in the freezer or refrigerator to keep them nice and fresh (if you leave them out they can get moldy).
- If you have a dehydrator you can make the sweet potato chews that way.
Once you let the chews cool you can share with your pups! They will love them, but beware of drool because they will want more! : )