Weekend Getaway with your pups
Its official, its winter time, and its cold! Who else is counting down the days til spring? I know we are! To keep from getting cabin fever it might be a good time to plan a weekend getaway for you and your pup! Virginia might be the perfect place to visit with many awesome destinations like Alexandria, Virginia Beach, and Richmond.
Alexandria has great places to explore. When you want to take Fido for a walk to release some energy, check out Founders Park, which offers views of the Potomac River. For a dog- friendly hotel option, you can stay at the Kimpton Lorien Hotel and Spa. They have dog pillows, a dog bed, and bowls. For a bite to eat, check out Lost Dog cafe for some good food.
Virginia Beach is another great spot. One of the best parts is that the beach is dog friendly during all of the seasons except the summer. A dog friendly hotel is The Founders Inn and Spa. They have rooms that are dog- friendly located next to a on-site dog park. For shopping, check out Mrs. Bones Bowtique for some special goodies for your pets. If your pup isn’t a fan of the beach you can make a stop at Woodstock Dog Park or Bayville Farms Park.
The third destination is Richmond. To get some exercise you will want to check out James River. When you need to relax you will want to stay at Quirk hotel that allows dog up to 70 lbs. When you check in with your pup they will get a doggy bag with treats, and waste bags. You can also request a dog bed for them. There is also a park about 2 blocks away so Fido can stretch his legs! After your burn some energy treat your pup to a doggie cookie at Abbella cakes Dog Bakery.
If you do a weekend getaway we would love to see a picture of your pup enjoying themselves!
Its the most wonderful time of the year!
The holidays are here! I don’t know about you, but I love this time of year! I especially love getting gifts for my fur babies! There’s already a few gifts under the tree and our pup Kooper keeps going over and sniffing out his gift! Here is our annual list of gift ideas.
For your Pup
- A dog bed- perfect for those cold winter days where they can snuggle up in and be nice and cozy
- Crumps dog treats- Our dogs love the Sweet Potato Chews so much they do zoomies when they sniff them out in the Amazon box.
- KONG- this is one of my favorites- fill it up with some peanut butter and banana and it will keep your pups distracted and stimulated
- Barkbox- this box usually includes a toy, treats, and a chew
- A new collar- is your pups collar looking a little shaggy? Find some cute ones on Etsy.
For you Cat
- A new cat bed- upgrade your cats bed so they have a nice place to relax
- Kitty treats – nothing better than a special treat
- A Bergan Turbo Cat Scratcher toy- this durable toy will keep your cat active and will provide fun for your companion
For your Pet lover friends and family
- Pop Your Pup shirt- Nothing says ultimate dog mom like one of these shirts! All you have to do is send in a picture of your pet you want to use and pick the cool background
- Personalized ornament with their pets name on it
- Dogist Book– this would be the perfect book for the coffee table
- The Book: A Dog’s Purpose – this book is good! All dog lovers will appreciate this read
- A gift certificate for an Agility class with Fido
- Apparel- How cute is this shirt at Life is Good?
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
A Doggone problem- pee accidents in the house
Do you have a pup that has accidents in the house? There are a few reasons why Fido is peeing in the house. Understanding why will help to stop the bad habit- here are four major reasons why- your pup is not house trained, he is sick or a senior, he is dealing with anxiety, or your dog is marking.
When it comes to house training your pup it is so important to use positive reinforcement. Look into trainers in your area that use positive reinforcement techniques. You could also look into doggie daycare or a professional dog walker that could help him engage in healthy activity. If he is having accidents when you are gone it could be caused from separation anxiety. If peeing in the house is something new that your pup is doing it is best to check in with your vet. It could be a health issue that is causing the accidents in the house. If he is marking it is best to clean up the spot right away, keep new things out of sight, get your pups spayed and neutered.
What to do if he has had an accident – pee cleaning techniques- the faster you clean it up the less likely the smell will linger, place a paper towel on top of the area and blot up the mess. You do not want to rub until all the moisture is removed. Then blot that area with clean water.
If you didn’t get to the spot before it dried you will want to use a pet odor neutralizer or try a more natural way with covering with baking soda overnight and blotting with a vinegar/water solution in the morning. If this doesn’t work for all of the spots then try hydrogen peroxide for the pesky spots but before you do this test a spot first. You do not want to use a steam cleaner because the heat will recharge the smell and make it a lot worse. If the smell and stain are still there call in the professionals!
DIY Projects for your pets
Happy Fall everyone! Now with the weather getting cooler and the days getting shorter its the perfect time to do some DIY!
Fall has arrived and that means its the perfect time to curl up on the couch with your best pal with a blanket. Here is a project you can make for your pup, as a gift, or even for the pups at your local animal shelter.
You will need:
Two colors of fleece (two is nice because it can be reversible)
Cardboard cut into 5 X 5 in. square
Now time to make a blanket:
- Figure out what size you want the blanket. Obviously the larger the dog the bigger I would make the blanket.
- Make your measurements and add about 8-10 inches to the size for the fringe on the ends.
- Line up the two pieces of fabric so they are back to back
- Use the cardboard and cut 5 inch squares from each corner of both fabrics.
- With using the cardboard as a guide, cut lines all about the side about 5-6 in and ½ in wide.
- Knot the fringe on the ends to make sure they are safe and secure
- Wash your blanket when complete
- Give to your pooch and let them enjoy your creation!
Here is a easy DIY to make your pup. They will love throwing this around!
You will need:
A tennis ball
- Lay the t-shirt flat to mark your 3 cuts. You will need to make two cuts across the whole t-shirt about 5 inches wide. You will also need one strip that is about 2 inches wide. You will have a total of 3 pieces. Once you have those, cut those pieces at one end so that are longer.
- Lay the larger fabrics in a “X” and put the tennis ball in the middle.
- Now wrap the tennis ball with all of the pieces and know with the 2 inch fabric (You should have four wide strips at the end).
- Separate the four wide strips and cut each in three pieces to braid together
- Once you are done braiding, knot the bottom with one of the small pieces. Repeat with the three other wide pieces.
- Give to your pup to enjoy!
Hope your pup loves your DIY projects!
Wedding Season is Here!
This month is one of the most popular month to tie the knot! If you are like me and wanted to incorporate your pups in your wedding, this post is for you. When Scott and I got married 4 years ago I knew that I wanted to incorporate my 3 dogs- Baxter, Chessie, and Bay who we got when I was 11. These three dogs meant the world to my family and I. Since we were getting married at Chesapeake Beach Resort in Chesapeake Beach I knew unfortunately it would be too far for them to travel since they were 14 years old. I had to find another special way to have them a part of our special day! That’s when we came up with the idea to put a picture of my munchkins in my bouquet- it was close to me during the whole day! Here are some other ideas to include for four-legged besties in the big day-
Decorations– Use some pictures of your pals for the centerpieces, cake topper, invitations, thank you cards, or favors. You could also do a donation instead of favors to the local humane society!
Engagement and Wedding Photos– If you have a dog that is fine with people and a lot of activity you couple include them in some of the priceless shots. Be sure to use a photographer that is comfortable working with pups. Pinterest has a ton of ideas for poses and make sure to practice before so your buddy is comfortable in front of the camera and posing! Also, we do offer a wedding service so your pups can be part of the special day!
Ceremony– If you fur best pal likes to be around people why not have him walk down the aisle as the ring bearer or the flower girl : )
Be sure to get a sitter– With all of the final planning of the big day make sure you have your pets care scheduled- whether it for just the big day, days leading up to it- we got the walks covered when you are making those final details or the honeymoon!
The wedding day goes by a blink of an eye so take a moment and look out to all of your loved ones under one room and soak it all in! It will be one of the best days of your life and hopefully your four-legged best friend will be a part of it : )
Rain, Rain, go away all the Dogs want to play
Since we are now in the month of April already… how is that possible? We are likely to have some rainy days such as today…April showers bring May flowers! We all know the saying “a tired dog is a happy dog” and with these indoor ideas you will have one happy dog! Here is a list of indoor game ideas to help get rid of some extra energy from your pets:
- Kong– I have talked about this before, but I can’t say enough about the trusty KONG. Fill this up and it will keep your pups occupied and stimulated to get all of the treats out of it.
- Games- I love playing “find it” with some training treats. To play this, your pup needs to be taught some commands beforehand. To play- tell your pup to “stay” , hide the treat, and then tell him “find it.” This game gets them engaged and excited! Our dogs love this game!
- Teach your dog a new trick- Rain days are the perfect day to teach them and then they will be ready to show off their new tricks on the sunny days with their friends!
- Tug of War- another old faithful of ours- learn the correct and safe way to play with your pup.
- Fetch- If you have a long hallway you can play just like you would outside.
- Stair Master- If the stairs in your home are safe do some laps with your pup up and down the steps.
- Play Date- if your pup is well socialized and does well with humans and other dogs, why not have an indoor play date? You will have two tired pups at the end of the date!
Embrace those rainy days, spending time with your pets is always a good time!
Gift Buying Guide for the Holidays
Tis the season! If you are like us, we are trying to finish up our holiday shopping and are trying to find the perfect gifts for our loved one! Here’s a list of some ideas:
For the Pooches:
A chew bone-By nature, dogs like to chew. We like giving the antlers to Dee and Koop- they last forever and do not splinter which is safer. Another good chew is a bully stick.
A new harness – We personally love the Freedom Harness. It makes taking the pups for a walk a true pleasure. It’s especially a great harness for dogs that pull.
A BarkBox- Don’t know what kind of treats or toys to get your pooch? Leave that to the BarkBox team. Each month is different. Our dogs get excited when they see a package come in the mail because they assume it’s a BarkBox with new treats for them to try!
Dispensing food toy-The Kong and Kong Wobbler is one of our favorites! These toys are a great outlet for your dog and after some productive food hunting, your dog may just take a nap afterwards.
For the Cats:
Mouse toy– Perfect size for the kitties to carry and bat at
Cat Tree– Perfect unit for scratching, climbing, sleeping, and exercising
For the Owners:
Coffee Table Book – Have you heard of Wine Dogs? What is better than dogs and wine? Not much right? Well this coffee table book is adorable and the perfect gift for that dog lover friend! Another great one is Dogist
Subscription to Dogster, The Bark, or Modern Dog- great reading material for the pet lovers!
Pop Your Pup Shirt– Your dog loving friends will love this! A picture of your pup on your shirt? Yes, please! : )
Happy Holidays to your and your four-legged pals!!
Here are a few of my favorites when it comes to pets!
Koop and Dee approved!
Vet: Perry Hall Animal Hospital– I absolutely love this vet! Since your pet is part of your family, you want to make sure you find someone caring and warm to care for them. When we were fostering Dee we met Dr. Tara. She has been nothing but amazing! They truly care for the animals and with our girl, Deeders, we are there all the time! 5 stars for this Vet!
Dog Food Dispenser– KONG Wobbler– If you have a fast eater, this is perfect. It entertains your pup and makes them work for their food rather than gobbling the food all at once.
Online Pet Store– Chewy– Their customer service is spot on! We also love their auto ship for the pup’s dog food. We don’t have to even think about it anymore! The food gets delivered to our front door when the pups are down to about three days’ worth of food.
Local Animal Shelter– Baltimore Humane Society– This place has a special place in my heart! As many of you know we adopted our munchkins, Koop and Dee from here. All of the workers truly care about the pets here. They are remarkable people that work tirelessly for the animals in need of their forever home.
Chew toy– Nylabone– this is actually a bone that holds up for Kooper; who loves to chew. This also helps promote better oral health and keeps them busy! We get the big one and it lasts for months. He loves chewing it towards the end of the night when he is winding down.
Are there any businesses that you love for your pets that didn’t make this list? Please email me at email@example.com and I may just feature your favorite business on a future blog!