Holiday Gift Guide
One of our favorite times of the year around here is Christmas. A time to give and spend quality time with family, especially our four legged family members. Below are some gift ideas for pet lover, our pups, and kitties too!
Perkies Print- what is better than a giant sized picture of your pets? We have 2 (one of each) and it puts an instant smile on our faces. In the picture above you can see the one we bought. We have hanging in our office and its a instant good mood looking at that smile.
Coffee Table Book- The Dogist will be a hit will all of your guests. Beautiful pictures of dogs throughout.
Christmas Ornament- We all need an ornament with a picture of our precious pooches on the tree.
A donation in honor of your pet- nothing feels better than giving back to animals in need. The local shelters are always in need of support. If you do not want to do a monetary donation you can donate supplies.
The Neater Feeder- is your dog a messy eater? Our one dog Dee is a very messy eater and her meals go everywhere! We found this and it has saved our walls and cabinets from the mess!
Antler Bone- These bones will last forever. We buy one per year and it lasts. They will also keep your pups busy during the colder months when they can’t go outside as much.
KONG- you can never have too many of these. Put some peanut butter and banana inside and your pup will be a happy one.
Rainbow Cat Charmer- Gets your cat interacting with you running around chasing the string!
A cozy cat cave– its no secret that our felines like to snuggle up and relax.
We wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family…furry family members too!
It’s one of our biggest fears…when our pets get sick… but when do we need to take them to the vet? It’s one of the questions some of us might have. I know with our one pup, I feel like we are always at the vet.
One of the biggest rule of thumbs: does your pet seem to be in severe pain and discomfort? If so, it is always best to call your vet and or take him in right away. If it’s after hours at your normal vet, then a trip to the emergency vet hospital is the route to go. Here is a list of common emergencies that need immediate attention:
-Breathing Issues- This is a very serious one. If your pet is showing signs of having trouble breathing then take your pet to the vet immediately. A normal rate for breathing in dogs in 10-30 breaths per minute.
-Difficulty walking or standing- if this is something that suddenly popped up it could be a sign of a serious injury such as a neurological problem.
-Poisoning- symptoms of poisoning are lethargy, vomiting, disorientation, tremors, and bleeding. You can also call the Pet Poison Hotline at 855-764-7661 to get more information.
– Seizures- These are painful for pet owners to witness. It really breaks your heart seeing. This is when a dog might collapse to the ground and move his limbs uncontrollably. They can also urinate and defecate at the same time. Seizures can be caused by epilepsy, kidney failure, and other underlying health concerns.
– Bloat- this is when the stomach fills with air and twists. When this is not taken care of immediately it can be life threatening.
– Bleeding- both internal and external bleeding needs vet attention. Excessive bleeding can be fatal and can cause the pet to go into shock.
All of these emergencies are scary and need vet attention. It is always important to be observant of how your pet is acting. Pet first aid and CPR classes are available so you can be well prepared in an emergency.
Its the most wonderful time of the year!
The holidays are here! I don’t know about you, but I love this time of year! I especially love getting gifts for my fur babies! There’s already a few gifts under the tree and our pup Kooper keeps going over and sniffing out his gift! Here is our annual list of gift ideas.
For your Pup
- A dog bed- perfect for those cold winter days where they can snuggle up in and be nice and cozy
- Crumps dog treats- Our dogs love the Sweet Potato Chews so much they do zoomies when they sniff them out in the Amazon box.
- KONG- this is one of my favorites- fill it up with some peanut butter and banana and it will keep your pups distracted and stimulated
- Barkbox- this box usually includes a toy, treats, and a chew
- A new collar- is your pups collar looking a little shaggy? Find some cute ones on Etsy.
For you Cat
- A new cat bed- upgrade your cats bed so they have a nice place to relax
- Kitty treats – nothing better than a special treat
- A Bergan Turbo Cat Scratcher toy- this durable toy will keep your cat active and will provide fun for your companion
For your Pet lover friends and family
- Pop Your Pup shirt- Nothing says ultimate dog mom like one of these shirts! All you have to do is send in a picture of your pet you want to use and pick the cool background
- Personalized ornament with their pets name on it
- Dogist Book– this would be the perfect book for the coffee table
- The Book: A Dog’s Purpose – this book is good! All dog lovers will appreciate this read
- A gift certificate for an Agility class with Fido
- Apparel- How cute is this shirt at Life is Good?
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Gift Buying Guide for the Holidays
Tis the season! If you are like us, we are trying to finish up our holiday shopping and are trying to find the perfect gifts for our loved one! Here’s a list of some ideas:
For the Pooches:
A chew bone-By nature, dogs like to chew. We like giving the antlers to Dee and Koop- they last forever and do not splinter which is safer. Another good chew is a bully stick.
A new harness – We personally love the Freedom Harness. It makes taking the pups for a walk a true pleasure. It’s especially a great harness for dogs that pull.
A BarkBox- Don’t know what kind of treats or toys to get your pooch? Leave that to the BarkBox team. Each month is different. Our dogs get excited when they see a package come in the mail because they assume it’s a BarkBox with new treats for them to try!
Dispensing food toy-The Kong and Kong Wobbler is one of our favorites! These toys are a great outlet for your dog and after some productive food hunting, your dog may just take a nap afterwards.
For the Cats:
Mouse toy– Perfect size for the kitties to carry and bat at
Cat Tree– Perfect unit for scratching, climbing, sleeping, and exercising
For the Owners:
Coffee Table Book – Have you heard of Wine Dogs? What is better than dogs and wine? Not much right? Well this coffee table book is adorable and the perfect gift for that dog lover friend! Another great one is Dogist
Subscription to Dogster, The Bark, or Modern Dog- great reading material for the pet lovers!
Pop Your Pup Shirt– Your dog loving friends will love this! A picture of your pup on your shirt? Yes, please! : )
Happy Holidays to your and your four-legged pals!!
Spring Cleaning and Pets
Spring is finally here and in the Anderson house it is time for some much needed spring cleaning! Time to open up the windows and get some fresh air in the house. With our house, our pets are the main source of odors. The best thing to help keep the stink away is to make sure the pups are clean. Dee enjoys her baths but with Koop, not so much! He hates them! For Kooper, we use the non- water shampoo wipes. We rub this on him and it takes any grime off of him. Surprisingly, he is not the one that gets stinky…our girl Dee can be though! It is easier when you have a pet that does self-grooming such as a cat. Most dogs, depending on their activity/lifestyle will only need a bath every other month and then brushing in between. Regularly grooming your pet will also strengthen your bond between you and your pet.
The next thing we always do is clean our sheets and blankets weekly. This is where the most of the dog stink lingers. Koop and Dee sometimes sleep in our bed and they make it stinky fast! If you have a pup that sleeps in a crate, don’t forget to spray and clean the bottom of the crate with a pet-safe disinfectant. This will help eliminate any odors as well. One of our best purchases was a residential steam cleaner. We periodically deep clean the carpets that really get any lingering pet odors out! For getting pet hair off of furniture and upholstery an effective way is using a damp rubber glove and going over the fabric to get the pet hair off. Lastly, check the filters in your home. Clean and replace your filters regularly.
Happy Spring Cleaning!
Happy New Year everyone!
I love this time to reflect on this past year and to prepare for the upcoming one! I, like so many people, want a fresh start to take the lessons I learned from the previous year to make the next one even better. Some of the most popular resolutions are to be a healthier version of yourself- Become more active, lose weight, etc. Many people cringe thinking about resolutions because many times they fall through. But how awesome would it be to accomplish these goals with your four legged best friend? Here are a few things to try during this New Year:
- Check out the Walk the Dog App. For every mile walking a donation is made to the animal shelter that participates in the program. It’s a win-win!
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter and get some extra steps walking the pups waiting for their forever home. That special time is sometimes the highlight of their days!
- As you try to eat healthier, take a look at what your pets are eating too. Their diet is just as important as yours.
- Declutter the pet cabinet and toy bin. I know our cabinet for Koop and Dee were getting out of hand so we went through and see what we do not use anymore. We did the same for the toy bin. We pulled out the toys that the pups don’t play with anymore and looked to see if they were in good condition and could be donated to the local animal’s shelter. I have to say I felt a little lighter after decluttering! : )
- Instead of going out, save money and go to a dog park with your pet. Even better, start your own play group with your friends and their pups! This will be a great time that won’t cost any money!
- If your pet is great with pets and people, look into getting them certified as a therapy pet. You and your pet could visit local libraries, nursing homes, and hospitals. The opportunities are endless and it such an awesome way to give back to your community.
I wish you all a happy and healthy 2016 filled with fun memories with your four-legged pals!
Tis the season to be jolly…Christmas is coming!
I know I say this every month but how is it December already? Doesn’t it feel like summer was just yesterday? Whew…I need to start my Christmas shopping! I know some of you are like me and need to finish up your Christmas shopping. With that being said, have you gotten a gift for your four legged family members? Here is a list of some of the things that are on Koopers and Dees Wish List ; )…
- Donation to your favorite national or local organization. This is one of my favorite things to do in honor of our two pups since we adopted them from one of our favorite local animal shelters. We usually do a donation on their birthday but Christmas is a great time too!
- KONG Wobbler Dispensing toy- Do any of your dogs eat their food really fast? This is a great way to provide exercise for your dog and promoting mental stimulation while it challenges them to get the treats out.
- BarkBox subscription– Get the box delivered to your front door…your dogs will be happy pups when they see the delivery guy! Typically there are two toys and two or three different kinds of treats for your pup to try. BarkBox gives back too. They donate 10% of their profits to dogs in need.
- Nylabone- These are Kooper and Dee approved! They enjoy the Big Chew one. I also like that it is made in USA! Just make sure you get the proper size for your pup!
- We don’t want to forget the kitties! Our favorite cat toy suggestion is a cat wand. It’s a great way to interact with your cat!
Hope you all enjoy this holiday season with the ones you love!
Also, If you would like to help we will be collecting items for the Holiday Wish List at Baltimore Humane Society. I know this season is a busy one so if you would like to participate but do not have the time to drop off I can deliver for you! Happy Holidays!