Gift Buying Guide for the Holidays
Tis the season! If you are like us, we are trying to finish up our holiday shopping and are trying to find the perfect gifts for our loved one! Here’s a list of some ideas:
For the Pooches:
A chew bone-By nature, dogs like to chew. We like giving the antlers to Dee and Koop- they last forever and do not splinter which is safer. Another good chew is a bully stick.
A new harness – We personally love the Freedom Harness. It makes taking the pups for a walk a true pleasure. It’s especially a great harness for dogs that pull.
A BarkBox- Don’t know what kind of treats or toys to get your pooch? Leave that to the BarkBox team. Each month is different. Our dogs get excited when they see a package come in the mail because they assume it’s a BarkBox with new treats for them to try!
Dispensing food toy-The Kong and Kong Wobbler is one of our favorites! These toys are a great outlet for your dog and after some productive food hunting, your dog may just take a nap afterwards.
For the Cats:
Mouse toy– Perfect size for the kitties to carry and bat at
Cat Tree– Perfect unit for scratching, climbing, sleeping, and exercising
For the Owners:
Coffee Table Book – Have you heard of Wine Dogs? What is better than dogs and wine? Not much right? Well this coffee table book is adorable and the perfect gift for that dog lover friend! Another great one is Dogist
Subscription to Dogster, The Bark, or Modern Dog- great reading material for the pet lovers!
Pop Your Pup Shirt– Your dog loving friends will love this! A picture of your pup on your shirt? Yes, please! : )
Happy Holidays to your and your four-legged pals!!
Spring Cleaning and Pets
Spring is finally here and in the Anderson house it is time for some much needed spring cleaning! Time to open up the windows and get some fresh air in the house. With our house, our pets are the main source of odors. The best thing to help keep the stink away is to make sure the pups are clean. Dee enjoys her baths but with Koop, not so much! He hates them! For Kooper, we use the non- water shampoo wipes. We rub this on him and it takes any grime off of him. Surprisingly, he is not the one that gets stinky…our girl Dee can be though! It is easier when you have a pet that does self-grooming such as a cat. Most dogs, depending on their activity/lifestyle will only need a bath every other month and then brushing in between. Regularly grooming your pet will also strengthen your bond between you and your pet.
The next thing we always do is clean our sheets and blankets weekly. This is where the most of the dog stink lingers. Koop and Dee sometimes sleep in our bed and they make it stinky fast! If you have a pup that sleeps in a crate, don’t forget to spray and clean the bottom of the crate with a pet-safe disinfectant. This will help eliminate any odors as well. One of our best purchases was a residential steam cleaner. We periodically deep clean the carpets that really get any lingering pet odors out! For getting pet hair off of furniture and upholstery an effective way is using a damp rubber glove and going over the fabric to get the pet hair off. Lastly, check the filters in your home. Clean and replace your filters regularly.
Happy Spring Cleaning!
Happy New Year everyone!
I love this time to reflect on this past year and to prepare for the upcoming one! I, like so many people, want a fresh start to take the lessons I learned from the previous year to make the next one even better. Some of the most popular resolutions are to be a healthier version of yourself- Become more active, lose weight, etc. Many people cringe thinking about resolutions because many times they fall through. But how awesome would it be to accomplish these goals with your four legged best friend? Here are a few things to try during this New Year:
- Check out the Walk the Dog App. For every mile walking a donation is made to the animal shelter that participates in the program. It’s a win-win!
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter and get some extra steps walking the pups waiting for their forever home. That special time is sometimes the highlight of their days!
- As you try to eat healthier, take a look at what your pets are eating too. Their diet is just as important as yours.
- Declutter the pet cabinet and toy bin. I know our cabinet for Koop and Dee were getting out of hand so we went through and see what we do not use anymore. We did the same for the toy bin. We pulled out the toys that the pups don’t play with anymore and looked to see if they were in good condition and could be donated to the local animal’s shelter. I have to say I felt a little lighter after decluttering! : )
- Instead of going out, save money and go to a dog park with your pet. Even better, start your own play group with your friends and their pups! This will be a great time that won’t cost any money!
- If your pet is great with pets and people, look into getting them certified as a therapy pet. You and your pet could visit local libraries, nursing homes, and hospitals. The opportunities are endless and it such an awesome way to give back to your community.
I wish you all a happy and healthy 2016 filled with fun memories with your four-legged pals!
Tis the season to be jolly…Christmas is coming!
I know I say this every month but how is it December already? Doesn’t it feel like summer was just yesterday? Whew…I need to start my Christmas shopping! I know some of you are like me and need to finish up your Christmas shopping. With that being said, have you gotten a gift for your four legged family members? Here is a list of some of the things that are on Koopers and Dees Wish List ; )…
- Donation to your favorite national or local organization. This is one of my favorite things to do in honor of our two pups since we adopted them from one of our favorite local animal shelters. We usually do a donation on their birthday but Christmas is a great time too!
- KONG Wobbler Dispensing toy- Do any of your dogs eat their food really fast? This is a great way to provide exercise for your dog and promoting mental stimulation while it challenges them to get the treats out.
- BarkBox subscription– Get the box delivered to your front door…your dogs will be happy pups when they see the delivery guy! Typically there are two toys and two or three different kinds of treats for your pup to try. BarkBox gives back too. They donate 10% of their profits to dogs in need.
- Nylabone- These are Kooper and Dee approved! They enjoy the Big Chew one. I also like that it is made in USA! Just make sure you get the proper size for your pup!
- We don’t want to forget the kitties! Our favorite cat toy suggestion is a cat wand. It’s a great way to interact with your cat!
Hope you all enjoy this holiday season with the ones you love!
Also, If you would like to help we will be collecting items for the Holiday Wish List at Baltimore Humane Society. I know this season is a busy one so if you would like to participate but do not have the time to drop off I can deliver for you! Happy Holidays!